with less than two weeks left to go in George W. Bush's presidency, there are a lot of TV and internet items reviewing the highs and lows of W.'s time in the White House. today i read an article on The Guardian's website that covered some of his most humorous blunders (which should make even the staunchest Republicans grin).
here are my top 10 from the list in no particular order...
1. great mangled syntax: "Families is where our nation finds home, where wings take dream."
2. he asked a New Hampshire audience to imagine themselves in the shoes of a single mother: "Working hard to put food on your family."
3. when he speculated about the effects of the merger of Time Warner with AOL he said: "Will the highways to the internet become more few?"
4. in "Journeys With George," a documentary on the 2000 presidential campaign, Bush jogs up and down the press bus demonstrating a talking fish toy called "Big-Mouth Billy Bass" with genuine excitement. (i have to admit here that the first time i ever saw a Big-Mouth Billy Bass i, too, thought it was insanely funny.)
5. in Frank Bruni's campaign memoir "Ambling Into History," Bush apparently raved to journalists about the "unbelievable" White House dessert menu, saying: "Yesterday... we had this, I'm not even sure, coffee ice-cream... surrounded by this unbelievable meringue... beautiful meringue." adorable.
6. he choked on a pretzel while watching a football game, blacking out, injuring himself and waking to find his dogs Spot and Barney worrying over him. awww...
7. Beijing, 2005: he strode from a large press conference walking directly into a locked door. there isn't a person on the planet who didn't see a clip of THAT, though it's only fair to note that the whole thing was really the fault of the President's handlers, not him.
8. during an early campaign stop in South Carolina he said: "Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning?"
9. in the "umm, what was that?" category: "Suiciders are willing to take innocent life in order to send the projection that this is an impossible mission."
10. on challenges facing gynocologists: "Too many OBGYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."
you've been a great audience -- thank you and good night!